The stress triggers of enneagram 9 show that they will feel anxious and irritable if faced with a lack of peace and harmony around them. These individuals will feel stressed if others around them are making a scene and they are to face the heat of the moment unnecessarily.
People with type 9 preferences will suppress their anger and annoyance because they never prefer to get stuck in the heat of the moment. Thus, even when they do not like anything, they will remain quiet in an effort to maintain serenity around.
These individuals will feel pessimistic while confronting a situation that appears tough to resolve. Their serene nature may crack and inner anxiety and frustrations may surface in no time.
In this post, we will talk about the various stress triggers along with the coping skills necessary to overcome such a situation.
Factors that can cause stress in enneagram 9
Enneagram is a method for categorizing personalities made up of nine categories like the Myers-Briggs type personality test, each of which is motivated by a different underlying fear.
Being an enneagram 9, you might have tried bullet journaling or lighting a candle before night despite the abundance of stress-relieving suggestions available.
The Enneagram can help you better understand what makes you tick so you can better regulate your reactions and connect with the highest version of yourself. Stress management is not a one-size-fits-all approach hence all the types have their own stress management ways.
Enneagram type nine wants peace and harmony inside out. They seek alone so that they may think, reflect, and explore. They appreciate settings that are tranquil, harmonious, and free. When under stress, they attempt to minimize their preferences and requirements to achieve inner and exterior serenity.
They are concerned that being assertive would exacerbate internal and external conflict. They struggle to contain their rage because they believe it will disintegrate or devastate them.
Nines become fixated on establishing relationships and security as stress levels rise. They worry about the worst-case situations and exhibit unusual pessimism. They could attribute their issues to others or air long-suppressed grievances. Their usually calm exterior breaks to expose a host of worries and concerns.
Nines are positioned at the top of the Enneagram symbol because they can understand and perceive reality through the eyes of all other types in the system. Because of their inherent talent, they make the best mediators in any situation. This, however, comes at a hefty price since Nines lose focus on their wants and aspirations in favor of those of other people.
A Nine has anxiety whenever they are required to decide or take action. Nines can lessen the stress by asking the requester to make a small number of decisions and creating strategies to reduce their hesitation.
Signs of stress in Enneagram 9
Enneagram 9s will show several signs of poor adjustment and lack of emotional wellness while in stress. These signs may show up as such:
- You put off important concerns because you feel overwhelmed by them.
- You suppress your unpleasant feelings out of a desire to impress other people, to the point that you may suddenly be aware of them.
- Your default mental attitude changes to pessimism.
- You struggle to believe in yourself and struggle with self-confidence passive hostile remarks are common
- The best word to explain how you feel is numbing.
- You don’t want to converse yet have a quick temper
- You tend to have an indecisive attitude
- You find it exceedingly difficult to accept any kind of suffering
- You struggle to maintain motivation
8 major factors that contribute to Stress in Enneagram 9
Some of the key factors that can cause stress in enneagram 9s are discussed below:
1. Discord in the surroundings
Nines want peace and harmony within. They seek alone so that they may think, reflect, and explore. They appreciate settings that are tranquil, harmonious, and free. When under stress, they attempt to minimize their preferences and requirements to achieve inner and exterior serenity. They are concerned that being assertive would exacerbate internal and external conflict.
2. Being around others who create a “scene”
Nines are concerned that exerting themselves would exacerbate internal and external strife. They struggle to contain their rage because they believe it will disintegrate or devastate them. When stress levels are high, Nines fixates on establishing relationships and stability.
3. Being compelled to fill a position
Nines feel disturbed when they are forced to do things against their will. Since they are peace lovers and try their best to avoid conflicts, they sometimes are compelled to do things that they do not want to. This stresses them out.
4. Saying “yes” to something they don’t want to do or being passed over or ignored
They fret about the worst-case possibilities and exhibit unusually gloomy and paranoid behavior. They could attribute their issues to others or air long-suppressed grievances. Their often-calm demeanor breaks down to expose a host of worries and emotions below.
5. Overcoming peer pressure
Nines have a deep concern for other people and are motivated to pursue happiness. They are frequently amenable to pressure from their loved ones and may give in more readily to those they care about.
However, nines loathe feeling pressed, and after some time, they could start to despise this. They would much like to have individuals in their lives that do not try to manipulate or push them into things.
6. Losing crucial ties with close ones
Nines work to make their partners keep close bonds with them while still granting them their independence since they want to be attached but autonomous. A spouse who doesn’t reciprocate might be burdensome and upsetting to them.
At unhealthy levels, the Nine may not enjoy any connection that forces them to confront their issues or change bad habits rather than avoid them. This may lead to problems and thus losing ties with their partners.
7. Holding back rage for too long
Nines appear to be asking, “What is anger?” as they reject their rage and primal impulses. I don’t easily become furious. Nines frequently feel intimidated by them and are the kind most out of touch with their natural energy and wrath.
Naturally, Nines get furious like everyone else, but they work to avoid their more negative emotions by concentrating on idealized views of their relationships and surroundings.
8. Having too many time-consuming responsibilities
Nines frequently push themselves over their comfort zones and feel like they are carrying the weight of the entire planet. They might take on excessive responsibilities and tasks to ease their guilt since they are so anxious to be perfect.
They think that to become better versions of themselves, they must always be in complete control, self-reliant, and working. They find it challenging to refuse offers of assistance, and they find it far more challenging to make such requests. Burnout, tiredness, and anger may result from this.
The disintegration of Enneagram 9 under stress
Nines may begin to act in ways that look unusually strange when they are under a lot of stress. Normally, such upbeat individuals might appear somewhat downcast and fixated on the problems in their environment during this time.
They can begin to complain about how terrible things are all around them and the status of the world. They suddenly become much more concerned about how things are wrong and how people are harming one another.
They may also appear a little reactive toward others and seem less upbeat or kind. They are inclined to notice even the slightest slight against them, while they would ordinarily attempt to be polite and forgiving.
The type 9 people would probably start bringing up all the ways that people have hurt or mistreated them, as opposed to dismissing their feelings as they typically do. They could also be prone to angry outbursts in which they strike out at people while claiming to be righteous.
They are not afraid to speak up against those who, in their opinion, are doing wrong or harming others.
Planning and arranging everything may become an obsession for those with type 9 personalities. They want to improve their planning skills and make sure they are ready for any unforeseen problems.
How will Enneagram 9 cope with stress?
It may be beneficial for each Nine to discover their activities and behaviors without conscious thinking while reducing stress since Nines will downplay uncomfortable sensations until they are painfully evident. This activity could need a drink of wine and some honest self-talk. When under pressure, a Nine is frequently in denial.
First off, Nines occasionally uses emotional or mental illusions as an escape. This serves as a numbing agent. When Nines are in touch with their physical and spiritual selves, they may be better able to detect stress triggers better since they have excellent instincts.
Type Nine will lose touch with their innate talents if they withdraw into the fantasy realm as an escape. They could appear distant and disinterested.
Some strategies for coping with stress are mentioned below:-
1. Allowing them to speak out for themselves and their needs.
It is important to encourage them to “get it all out” while assuring them that there will be no criticism that will hurt them.
2. Give them some privacy and alone time
It may be difficult and exhausting to juggle friends, a career, family, and everyday responsibilities. Nines need to give themselves their undivided personal time occasionally to rejuvenate.
3. Tell them that it’s acceptable to refuse to do things they don’t want to
Setting limits and being assertive both need the ability to say “no” politely. Nines could run into trouble when you constantly say “yes” to something they don’t want to do.
4. Encourage them to pursue their special abilities by recognizing them
Nines must have confidence in their skills, deeds, and judgment. Therefore, it is essential to have self-confidence since it will make you more inclined to pursue challenging objectives, take risks, and have faith in your ability to accomplish them.
5. Aid them in expressing their rage.
Tell them that not all rage is negative. If possible, give examples of being assertive which will benefit them in the long run. This will help them to express their anger in a way that will not create further issues.
6. Encourage them to become more body-aware.
Ask them questions like what they require. Encourage them to breathe deeply and understand their own needs.
7. Join them for a jog or any other type of physical activity
They will be able to relax and process some of their emotions as a result. Many people meditate to increase awareness and clarity as well as to relieve tension and anxiety. You may establish a healthy, upbeat, and tranquil concentration on your objectives and self-development with the aid of meditation. Even planning a break from your work or some alone time might help you unwind and concentrate.
16 tips for reducing stress for an Enneagram 9 personality type
Enneagram 9s can also use some other stress-busting tips to feel in control of their emotional upsurge. By incorporating these self-help strategies, they will feel in control of the stressful situation they are in.
- Make time for yourself. Spending time alone might help you reconnect with yourself and discover your hobbies.
- Through journaling or breath-of-fire meditation, examine buried rage.
- To get inspired, spend time outside and focus on your senses. What have you noticed, heard, smelled, and seen?
- Make a list of your primary objectives. Changes to these are acceptable! Before committing to it, check in to determine whether anything aligns with your wider goal.
- Try a meditation body scan. You can better stay in the present by taking some quiet time.
- Commit to moving for at least 20 minutes each day. Yoga, walking, or using an exercise bike are all acceptable options.
- Adapt your surroundings. Changing your environment is what you need to feel the energy flow again, whether that means doing Fengshui in your flat or having a holiday with the family.
- Find a community of individuals that share your passions and are like-minded. This advances your interests while also igniting inspiration, fresh perspectives, and networking chances.
- Be dedicated to fostering something productive in your daily life. It may be a pet, a plant, a group you join with your pals, a passion project, etc.
- Make a choice slowly, not decide anything in a rush. You are a peace-loving person. So, anything that rushes your mind to different things can cause stress. Go slow and move with the flow of time.
- Consider how empowering it is to make your voice and intentions known, even if it’s only choosing what to eat for supper.
- Be mindful of what your body requires. Stay hydrated, consume wholesome foods, and exercise throughout the day, whether it be by walking or working out.
- Take up a calming activity. A soothing activity will enable you to detach when you get entirely focused on what’s bothering you.
- Allow yourself some time and space to analyze your feelings and connect with your softer side. What message are your feelings attempting to convey?
- Make a vision board to help you keep focused on your bigger objectives and what matters to you. If it helps, divide them into manageable pieces and assign what you can.
- Exercises for deep breathing will help you slow down. Also, evaluate yourself on your coping styles
To Sum Up
Enneagram Nines are frequently the peacemakers in a variety of circumstances. Nines are peace-loving people who readily integrate with others and take every precaution to avoid confrontation. Nines frequently relaxed back and were kind. They despise the prospect of conflict and would stop at nothing to avoid it.
They could struggle to manage their priorities because they are concerned that doing so would lead to conflict. Making decisions might be difficult for them since they want to avoid angering anyone who disagrees with their choice.
Their main goals in life are harmony and peace in all spheres. Hence when confronted with stressors, Nines tend to have a setback. Thus the coping mechanisms come to play for the reduction in the level of stress for good functionality in the Nines.