ENFJ Cognitive functions depict the subtle psychological processes that make this type operate in this world in some specific ways. These functions decide how ENFJs perceive information, process them, and take decisive actions accordingly.
The cognitive functions are stacked in an order with the most dominant function having the maximum impact on the person. Other functions are supportive in nature. They help the dominant function in desirable and undesirable ways.
ENFJ cognitive functions
Based on the Myers-Briggs personality type ENFJ is characterized by extraversion (being energized by other people), intuition (focusing on concepts and theories rather than factual details), feeling (making decisions based on their emotions and values), and preference for planning and organization over spontaneity and flexibility (Judging).
There are four Cognitive Functions for every personality type. These functions describe how ENFPs gather data and make judgments in their daily life.
The hierarchical order or functional stacking of these functions is determined by individual preferences.
Making decisions requires the use of Thinking and Feeling, while processing information requires the use of intuition and Sensing.
The top two functions of each category are used to identify them. Both internal and exterior functions are used to interact with the outside environment. Internal functions are used in your mind.
You may find mentioned below some of the most important cognitive functions used by ENFJ personality type individuals. But before we move on to describe these functions, let us describe the four letter acronym ENFP clearly.
1. Extroverted (E)
Being an extrovert, ENFPs derive their mental energy from socialization. They are focused outside to the external world and perceive all sorts of information from the surroundings. They are outgoing, socially dynamic, and have excellent networking abilities.
Se (tertiary function) promotes Fe by enhancing the ENFJ’s perceptions of their surroundings. It focuses on the value of the universe being like a material object. They learn to appreciate utilizing their senses to comprehend and engage with their environment because of Se.
Thus, you will always find an ENFJ as a friendly and gregarious function who is always ready to take on the center stage.
2. Intuition (N)
While Ni operates silently in the background, gathering information and arranging it into data constellations that combine to produce an idea or concept, Fe is collecting information about individuals. For the ENFJ, Ni is responsible for making the world within the individual very creative.
ENFJs can see future opportunities by analyzing the details of the present situation. They can foresee what can happen next if the present situations turn out in definite ways. ENFPs believe in using hunches to make vital decisions in life.
3. Feeling (F)
The main purpose of the ENFJ is to engage with the outside world through Fe. Additionally, it is how the outside world responds to them. Fe is about gut feelings rather than emotions that one could have towards someone or something.
The word is full of wonderful individuals serves as the main source of inspiration and energy for this function, which is externally centered. All other functions “serve” Fe since it is first in the hierarchy.
4. Judging (J)
Since Ti is the ENFJ’s final function, it has the potential to be its weak point before it has a chance to mature. Their Ti aids them in reviewing and analyzing the data that Fe gathers.
They use Ti and their Ni sense to judge if their beliefs can withstand investigation. However, Ti is not a very strong point for these people.
The individuals could struggle if asked to mentally examine difficult theoretical puzzles, i.e. complex mathematical formulas.
The description of cognitive functions
The detailed description of ENFJs cognitive functioning is described below:
1. Dominant function – Extraverted Feeling (Fe)
The easiest way to define extroverted feeling is as an action. Because several procedures and methods are always in use, it is impossible to sum them up in one concise and effective way.
- An ENFJ personality type individual is continuously aware of the thoughts and emotions of others since they utilize Fe to sense everyone in the room’s vibes.
- The ENFJ simultaneously employ their behaviors, facial expressions, feelings, and skills to sway and assist those around them. When a person or group of individuals gives out positive energy, sentiments, or a sense of emotional arousal that piques the ENFJ’s attention, the ENFJ primary function is to use their extroverted sensing feature which reflects it to them.
- Fe might be thought of as the pinnacle of mothering. Users with high Fe are motivated to take care of the individuals around them.
- They have a great inclination to prioritize others’ needs over their own. For instance, even at a friend’s house, the ENFJ don’t feel a bit bad about delegating their needs to another person and may be the one to respond quickly as always. The best times for ENFJ to feel most like themselves are when they are taking care of others and without looking for anything in return.
2. Auxiliary function – Introverted intuition (Ni)
For the ENFJ, introverted intuition serves as the internal starting point. They may see their inner world as a wall covered with post. This is with all kinds of information written on them, from which they may stand back and receive a feeling of everything at once.
- Their minds are simultaneously actively (albeit unconsciously) highlighting and linking different pieces of information that have been displayed on the “wall” to develop ideas and perceptions about various topics.
- They frequently move about on intuitive leaps in their highly abstract inner world.
- To ascertain the significance of the new information, their extraverted intuition takes all the data obtained by Fe and connects it to other data already amassed.
- This sort of individual may be able to take up and draw in sentiments from those around them since Ni is servicing the main function (Fe), and they may even experience all the issues they experience or understand at once.
- They might not immediately link certain emotions to the persons they originated from since their mental processes are so erratic, but instead, they may unintentionally take up an emotion from someone and then wonder why they are now experiencing something completely different.
3. Tertiary function and Supporting Role – Extroverted Sensing (Se)
In ENFJ children or teenagers, this third function might not be so developed. This ability may not develop for certain ENFJs until much later in life.
However, Se is what makes the ENFJ view the world as a concrete place, giving their subjective Ni thinking a platform to express their Ni thoughts. As Se develops, it helps the ENFJ become a much more well-rounded person overall.
- The ENFJs desire to learn more about their surroundings is called Se. The Se function can appear in many different forms. It may manifest as involvement in artistic or musical pursuits, or it may manifest as travel or sports activity.
- When the ENFJ is in action, another side of Se could emerge since they might favor a more practical, hands-on approach to issue resolution. For instance, ENFJ would suggest, “Let us be productive by learning new stuff when they observe that their partner has a physical need or issue that neither they nor their finances or knowledge can adequately address.
- The ENFJ might not want to spend hours studying how to fix mechanical items for leisure, but they are more open to using a hands-on approach when assisting a friend.
4. Inferior function – Introverted thinking (Ti)
The ENFJ’s last function is Ti. This function will develop at a different rate in each ENFJ, but often it may be seen continuing into adulthood.
- Ti is the ENFJs weakest function; therefore unless these ideas have a real-world application, people could find it difficult to think through complicated, theoretical notions. ENFJ is not particularly good at logic.
- When it comes to accomplishing things or for people they care about, they could be incredibly detail-oriented, yet they might not care less if they say a word or two wrong in a discussion.
- They could believe that spending time by scrutinizing minute details is pointless nitpicking as long as their message has been understood.
- When under extreme stress or when they are weary, ENFJs feel themselves being pummeled by an endless stream of analytical ideas. This can just be a pain, or it might even be related to anxiousness.
- The ENFJ should choose one positive or neutral train of thought to focus on avoiding to select a problem, or daydreaming, or otherwise try to mentally to fight this sort of stressful analysis when attempting to go to sleep.
- It can also be beneficial to concentrate their attention in a Se manner; problem solving is done easier and performs an activity that involves their physical concentration if this anxiety-inducing over-analysis mode flares up during the day.
To Sum Up
For ENFJs, helping others reach their potential and grow more into their unique selves is a fundamental focus. The ability to empathize with deep understanding of personal relationships and to persuade others to learn, develop, and grow are talents.
They inspire others to work together to realize the goals they have for the person or the organization by using their excellent communication skills, zeal, and warmth. As a result, they are catalysts who bring out the best in people and who also benefit from empathetic relationships.
Chandrani is a former school psychologist and teacher by profession. She is a post graduate in Applied psychology with focus in clinical and health domains. Her passion for writing, kindled during school days have now become a full time freelancing endeavor. For her, writing is cathartic and keeps her mentally agile. Her lovable niches includes psychology, parenting, spirituality, lifestyle, and love and relationships. Her work depicts her perspectives about various experiences that she came across; unleashed a richer and deeper meaning of life. "Let me leave an aftertaste in the minds of few, if not many who need to find a path of absolute bliss, happiness, and inner peace."