Enneagram 9 personality description shows their peaceful and considerate nature. Type Nines are in love with peace. So, they are the ones to avoid confrontations at all costs. These individuals take pride in building secure human connections based on trust and togetherness.
People with type 9 preferences dislike turbulence in their relationships. They are considerate and please others just to keep peace in the situation even when they know that the other person is wrong with his/her actions.
For Enneagram 9s, this world is a beautiful place and conflicts can only make this world a bitter place. Thus, they prefer to maintain peace at all costs.
Let’s learn more about type 9 here…
Enneagram 9 Personality Description
Enneagram 9s are pleasant, gentle, and harmonious by nature. They prefer a peaceful life free of conflicts and disagreements with others. Their humility and love for peace are their prized possessions and make them the crown of the Enneagram model.
Many people now use different kinds of personality tests to determine their own unique personality style. One such common personality test is the RHETI or the Riso-Hudson Test Indicator. This test divides human beings into nine different personality types. Experts call these the Enneagram personality types.
The term “Enneagram” comes from the Greek language. “Ennea” means the number nine. The word “gramma” means something that is drawn. The nine Enneagram personality types have some correlation or connection to each other. One can express these connections by drawing them like a map or pattern. This explains the reason behind the name Enneagram.
Every single Enneagram personality type has one basic fear and one basic motivation. This fear and motivation together control the behavior and characteristics of each individual belonging to that personality type.
In today’s article, we will discuss the Enneagram 9 personality type.
Other people often refer to Enneagram 9s as “the peacemakers”. Individuals with the Enneagram type 9 personalities are easy-going and modest. They tend to be self-effacing and humble individuals. At the same time, they often have charming personalities.
An Enneagram 9 individual’s basic fear is a fear of loss and separation. They are afraid of losing their loved ones and being separated from them. They are also afraid of losing some of their prized possessions or things they love.
Enneagram 9s have a basic desire to achieve internal stability. They tend to value their own peace of mind more than anything else. But in essence, Enneagram 9s crave peace and harmony. They want to create harmony in their own surrounding environment.
Not only this, type 9s also want to maintain harmony within themselves. Enneagram 9s themselves want to avoid conflicts with others. But apart from that, they also want to resolve conflicts between others.
If an Enneagram 9 sees other people fighting, he or she has a strong urge to step up and stop them. For these reasons, other people call Enneagram 9s the peacemaker.
But not all Enneagram 9s are outgoing like that. Mild-mannered Enneagram 9s are peaceful and avoided by nature. They want to shy away from all conflicts. They mostly keep to themselves. In extreme cases, introverted Enneagram 9s do not even want to talk to others because they want to avoid conflicts.
Many people also call Enneagram 9s “spiritual seekers”. They often seek out a strong connection with the cosmos as well as with other people. Enneagram 9s want to achieve their own peace of mind by helping to maintain peace and harmony in their surroundings.
Despite that, Enneagram 9s remain grounded in reality. They have a realistic outlook on life. This kind of adaptive mindset helps them navigate through treacherous situations in their lives.
Let’s scheme through their thinking, feeling, and action patterns briefly.
Their thought process revolves around the basic notion that no matter how worse the situation becomes, they will always strive to remain calm and maintain peace around them.
Type 9s possess a good temper. They are adaptable and considerate. Enneagram Type 9s value subtle human emotions. These emotions are vital in building a secure, stable, and long-term relationship. Their even temper keeps them easygoing and relaxed even in the toughest situations in life.
These individuals will remain passive in trying times. They are unmoved by struggles and prefer to take all the relevant needful actions to sail through gracefully in times of distress.
General features of Enneagram 9
Sometimes, Enneagram 9s can retreat inside their minds. They often have many emotional fantasies. But if they realize that these fantasies cannot become a reality, they live out these situations in their heads. To others, it may seem as if they are daydreaming. But in reality, Enneagram 9s are smart enough to understand what they can achieve in real life and what they cannot.
If they have any unfulfilled desires, they try to fulfill them in their own head. For this reason, people may sometimes confuse Enneagram type 9s to be type 2s or 4s by mistake.
Now let us recall something that we said in the introduction section of this article. One can show the interconnections between all of the nine Enneagram personality types by drawing them like a map or diagram.
But this map or diagram has to maintain a proper format. One cannot just write down the different personality types in a random order. Once this enneagram diagram is drawn in the proper accepted format, type 9 remains at the top of the diagram.
One can say that it looks just like a crown on top of a person’s head. In a fitting way, Enneagram experts often call type 9s as the “crown of the Enneagram”. But the reason for this is not just limited to this diagram.
Words that best describe an Enneagram 9
There are several personality traits that can be used to spot type nines easily. Some of them are as follows:
- Strives to remain settled in life
- Kind and considerate
- Easygoing and peaceful
- Dislikes chaos and separation from fellow humans
- Naturally agreeable
- Friendly and trustworthy
Specific qualities of 9 that relate to other enneagram types
Enneagram types 9s possess many qualities of the other personality types. Let us take a look at these qualities below.
- Enneagram type 9s has a strong sense of idealism and morality, just like type 1s.
- Type 9s are generous and helpful individuals. This is a character that type 2s exhibits a lot.
- Most Enneagram 9s are quite charming individuals. They have their own way to make other people become attracted to them with ease. Enneagram 3s also exhibit this quality.
- Type 9s have a strong creative side to them, just like Enneagram type 4s.
- Type 9s also have a strong sense of intellectualism. They are good at making rational decisions based on logic rather than emotions. This attribute also happens to be a strong suit of type 5s.
- Enneagram type 9s is loyal and dutiful by nature. They have a strong work ethic. This quality is just like type 6s.
- Type 9s are easy-going and fun-loving people. They are adventurous and love to get an adrenaline rush. This makes them similar to type 7s.
- Type 9s also has the strength and fortitude of type 8s.
Thus, we can see that type 9s are truly the “crown of the Enneagram” in every way.
How Common or Rare Are Enneagram 9s?
According to the results of a survey conducted by the website Enneagram.bz, we can say that Enneagram 9s are the most common Enneagram type. Their team of researchers conducted this survey on almost 200,000 people.
So, it would not be wrong to say that the results of this survey would provide a fair estimate. The survey found that out of those 200,000 people, around 30,000, or 16% of the people were type 9s. A gender-wise specification found that 16% of men and 17% of women were type 9s.
Many famous people worldwide are Enneagram type 9s. Some of them are as follows:
- Queen Elizabeth II, the former queen of the United Kingdom
- Claude Monet, famous French painter
- Abraham Lincoln, former president of the United States of America
- John F Kennedy, also a former US president
Healthy, unhealthy, and average Enneagram 9s
Every Enneagram personality type can exist at a healthy, unhealthy, or average level. This is true for Enneagram type 9s as well.
Healthy Enneagram 9
At their best, healthy type 9s are self-satisfied and autonomous individuals. They have a calming presence and want to help others. They know how to achieve their own inner peace.
Unhealthy Enneagram 9
Unhealthy type 9s tend to be repressed and ineffectual individuals. They always have a sense of being defeated. These individuals lack confidence and this affects their performance in everything that they do.
They try to shut out the external world. In extreme cases, this can even affect their mental health. They become numb and depersonalized, and this may lead to personality disorders in them.
Average Enneagram 9
As the reader can understand, average Enneagram 9s remain between healthy and unhealthy levels. They fear conflicts so much that they become people pleasers.
What Delights Enneagram 9s?
Every unique personality style controls what individuals with that personality style like. So, what does an Enneagram 9 like? What delights them or makes them happy? Let us have a look below.
- The thing that an Enneagram 9 likes more than anything else, is peace and tranquility.
- They love to go on vacations or trips to calm and serene places.
- Enneagram 9s love calm, soothing music.
- They love to spend time with their friends.
- They love meditating.
- Enneagram 9s love to take long naps.
- Type 9s likes to be the predominant listener during any conversation. They talk less and listen to what others have to say.
- Enneagram 9s wants to maintain peace and harmony with everyone. They want to maintain a good, cordial relationship with everyone they know and all the people around them.
- They like to please others.
- Enneagram 9s love stability in every aspect of life. This includes simple things such as their own personal belongings, to even complicated things like relationships. Type 9s believes that if something is not broken, there is no need to fix it.
- Enneagram 9s wants to leave an impact on the lives of others or on the world as a whole.
- Type 9s believe that mistakes are a part of life. They forgive others with relative ease. For this reason, when they themselves make some mistake, they want others to also forgive them with ease.
- Most Enneagram 9s tend to love gardening. They like to spend time with nature and plants.
- Enneagram type 9s want to be praised and appreciated by others. If someone thanks them for any work they have done, it makes their day.
What Do Enneagram 9s Hate?
Just like Enneagram type 9s like some unique things, there are also some things that they hate. Let us now see some of the things that Enneagram 9s dislike or hate to experience in their daily life.
- Perhaps the thing that Enneagram 9s hate the most is any conflict. They themselves want to shy away from any conflict. Not only that, but they also hate seeing other people around them become involved in conflicts. They have a strong dislike for any sort of fighting or disagreements.
- Enneagram 9s hate a passive-aggressive attitude. When a conflict has occurred, a type 9 cannot rest unless they have resolved it.
- They hate it when they go out of their way to help someone, but do not get any appreciation or thanks in return.
- Enneagram 9s hate being left alone. They have a strong fear of missing out.
- They do not like making a difficult decision when they know that it will affect someone in a negative way. For example, in a work environment, an Enneagram 9 manager would find it very difficult to give a termination letter to a subordinate employee.
- Most Enneagram 9s hate doing tedious physical activities.
- Enneagram 9s hate handling stressful situations.
- They hate it when others boss them around or give them senseless orders. They hate being micromanaged at every small step when they are working on something.
- Enneagram types 9s hate it when someone urges them to work faster. They would rather prefer to do things at their own pace.
- They do not like holding grudges or resentment toward others.
- They hate criticisms of their work.
- They hate being rejected in any context.
- They hate it when their opinions on some issue are not given importance.
The Learning Style of Enneagram 9s
Every personality type has a unique learning style. Let us discuss the learning style of Enneagram 9s in this section.
- Type 9s prefer an immersive learning style. They often have a short attention span. So, their teachers must make sure to find a way to keep them engaged.
- Enneagram 9s prefer stability in life. So, they like it when their instructors maintain a proper routine or teaching schedule. Surprise tests can throw off an Enneagram 9. Even if they are good at a particular subject, having a surprise test would make them underperform.
- Enneagram 9s like to think of the bigger picture. So, when an instructor is teaching them about a small part of something, type 9 thinks of the entire picture.
- Because of their short attention span, they often like to take little breaks between studying.
- Type 9s like working in groups. But at the same time, they hate conflicts. They may even choose not to voice their own opinion about something for fear that it will lead to a conflict with other members of the group.
- They like stress-free environments. They do not like a strict teacher and rather prefer a friendly one.
- They are well-mannered in the classroom. They are often supportive of their peers.
To Sum Up
To sum up, in this article, we have provided a brief description of the Enneagram 9 personality type. Enneagram 9s are “the peacemakers” in every sense of the word. They are peace-loving individuals who like to maintain harmony and peace among everyone.
Enneagram 9s are the most common personality type, covering 16% of the population. Their unique personality style makes them like and dislike certain peculiar things. In consequence, this also affects their learning style.
Chandrani is a former school psychologist and teacher by profession. She is a post graduate in Applied psychology with focus in clinical and health domains. Her passion for writing, kindled during school days have now become a full time freelancing endeavor. For her, writing is cathartic and keeps her mentally agile. Her lovable niches includes psychology, parenting, spirituality, lifestyle, and love and relationships. Her work depicts her perspectives about various experiences that she came across; unleashed a richer and deeper meaning of life. "Let me leave an aftertaste in the minds of few, if not many who need to find a path of absolute bliss, happiness, and inner peace."