ESTP Myers Briggs is proactive and spontaneous, energetic and lively personality types. They are less emotional types and appear rude and firm to others but in reality these people are resourceful, logical thinkers who are ready to take up any challenges in life.
They are proactive and productive, full of positivity and hope. It is tough to undermine their enthusiasm and zeal for life.
ESTP personality types are action-oriented who believe in doing things rather than only talking about ideas.
In this short piece, we will carve a personality profile of this enthusiastic 16 personality type in detail.
ESTP Myers Briggs Type – How do they look?
ESTPs are extroverted sensing types. This means they derive their mental energies from social participation, networking, and the outside world. They are enthusiastic, agile, and active in nature.
ESTP is one of the 16 personality types described in MBTI (Myers Briggs Type Inventory)personality testing.
Armed with less emotion and more thoughtful qualities, ESTPs appear less sensitive to others’ problems. They are resourceful and adventurous.
These individuals prefer doing things every now and then. They are active socialites who love to take challenges and resolve tough problems in life. They are confident in their abilities to handle situations tactfully.
ESTPs wish to live each and every moment of their life with fun and action. For them, lights are on and the show has to go on.
People with an ESTP personality type are outgoing, spontaneous, and flexible. They dislike pointless rules, small talk, and narrow-minded behavior. You’ll never find them interfering in others’ matters.
Their open-minded and flexible nature makes them popular among the friends and family circle. Being an extrovert, ESTPs are buzzing with humor and liveliness. In social circles, their presence is dynamic. They prefer to lead and get things done.
For ESTPs, life is always on the move. They hate laziness and never sit back for the next big opportunity. They take in moments of life as precious that are not to be wasted without doing anything productive.
ESTPs can solve problems tactfully. They are also ideal negotiators. You will always see them in the spotlight resolving issues that are not their own also.
ESTPs prefer to talk about real life topics that make a concrete sense. They mind discussing abstract concepts because they hardly understand things that are ambiguous and lack clarity.
These individuals have a strong hold over their surroundings. They are socialites with a dynamic presence. Others feel the positive vibes when they are with an ESTP.
The ESTP personality type is direct and logical. Their thinking and analytical skills get reflected in their words and actions. Something interesting about this personality type is their ability to notice subtle changes in others’ mood, behavior, and actions.
ESTP Type Description
The acronym ESTP states the various cognitive functions that make up this type. ESTPs are extroverted, sensing, thinking, and perceiving personality types. They are social and outgoing, and prefer to be present in the moments of life.
People with this personality type are logical and thoughtful, flexible and easy-going types. You will never find them getting into unnecessary issues with others.
The detailed description of this type includes the following:
1. Extroverted – ESTPs derive their mental energy from social interaction and communication. Their verbal skills are excellent and they can make many friends.
ESFJs are also active, energetic, and dynamic. They love being with others all the time. They are cheerleaders for others. ESTPs always prefer solving life problems rather than living in it.
2. Sensing – ESTPs use their senses to understand and perceive the world around them. This means they are always present in the moment.
They prefer detailing and never work with ambiguous things. Being a sensor also means they pay attention to their immediate surroundings quite closely. They will notice even minor changes going on around them.
3. Thinking – ESTPs are thoughtful and prefer to live in a space of their own where they can ponder over known and unknown ideas. They prefer logic and not abstraction. Being a thinking personality type, ESTPs have good observation skills that they use with analogy and problem-solving ability to make things happen.
ESTJs rely on objective data and tangible, concrete information and prefer making decisions based on logical reasoning. They are critical thinkers who use head and heart both in deciding important aspects of their life.
4. Perceiving – ESTPs are flexible and open-minded. They are relaxed in nature. So they prefer working with new ideas. They remain open to the opinions and suggestions of others and prefer giving due recognition to all for their valuable inputs.
ESTPs do not like rigid rules. They are a little disorganized in their work and may not do things in an organized way as always. They remain open to change and can adjust with diverse situations without getting emotionally overwhelmed.
Being a perceiving type, ESTPs are adaptable and non-judgmental. They cannot evaluate people and situations critically and can blindly trust others at times. This can also make them fall prey to false allegations, cheating, and deception by others.
The personality profile of an ESTP
If you are an ESTP, you’ll probably exhibit personality dynamics like this –
Being an ESTP, you’ll be socially active and agile in different group activities. People will like your charisma and dynamic social presence.
You are talkative, well-versed in communication skills and this makes you network with diverse groups of people. Your fun-loving and active lifestyle also makes you socially dynamic.
Being an ESTP means you will prefer the public eye. You also know how to motivate others and inspire them to live their best lives.
It also means to dare and move out of your comfort zone to play with ideas, think and do many things that others may not prefer in reality.
Being an adventure lover, you seem to break rules that hinder your path towards growth. You are open-minded and flexible.
Thus, pointless regulations and judgmental attitudes are not meant for you.
You prefer working at your own pace and convenience. Sometimes, you prefer people contributing their valuable insights into a matter. You encourage others to share their opinions and thoughts with others.
At the same time, you are not self-critical as well. You are open to making mistakes and learn from them. Being an ESTP, you will take risks and get things done. For you, each small failure leads to the path to success.
Being a rational thinker, you’ll always have backup plans to avoid adversities in life. A quick exit-plan is something that you need to come out from any odds in life.
ESTPs are impatient and impulsive in nature and you also carry these traits in you. As your thinking quality is more developed than the feeling quality, others may find you insensitive at times.
People with ESTP personality type appear insensitive because they fail to understand the finer emotions of others. They are not good at understanding the facial expressions and gestures of others.
Moreover, routine desk jobs are not meant for you. You love to create and innovate and thus always seek new ideas and creative things to work on.
The chief personality traits that make up your personality type are as follows:
Some of the key personality traits that ESTPs possess are as follows:
- Outgoing and spontaneous
- Prefers to live in the moments
- Socially active
- Resourceful and creative
- Challenges are their first love
- Logical and analytical
- Social influencers
- Fluent communicators
- Great problem-solving abilities
- Remains calm under stress
- Little impatient
- Good memory power
How common are ESTPs?
ESTPs are armed with practical ideas. They love to take challenges and thrive in creativity and innovation. Armed with incredible energy and agility, they are one of the most light-hearted and cheerful Myers Briggs types.
ESTPs are not an uncommon type. They comprise about 6.1% of the population. As per some research, ESTPs fill about 4% population, out of which men comprise about 6% and women 3% in the population.
What ESTPs delight?
There are certain things that these light-hearted people love in their daily lives.
- They delight adventure and are born risk takers
- ESFJs are naturally inclined towards fun and frolic in their life.
- They love exciting social interactions.
- Outdoor activities keep them mentally active.
- ESTPs love to create new ideas and work on them.
- They love to be praised in their social circles.
- Monotonous life irks them badly.
- ESTPs love to interact with open-minded people.
- They feel stuck in pointless discussions that lack innovation.
What ESTPs hate?
Just like anyone else, ESTP personalities also do not prefer certain specific things in their daily lives. ESTPs are assertive, courageous, and straight-talkers. They dislike people who cheat, hide, or are showy in nature. Apart from this, ESTPs also hate to be micro-managed. They live life in their own terms and conditions although they are highly adaptable if the situation demands such a behavior.
- They hate to do routine tasks and may lose focus if asked to continue with the same work for a long time.
- They prefer flexibility in doing things.
- Pointless rules and needless society conventions make them feel stuck and irritable.
- They dislike thinking about past issues or future possibilities because they just want to stay in the present time.
- ESTPs hate emotional manipulation. They prefer straight talk even if it is hurtful.
- They prefer serious work and are somewhat no-nonsense when it comes to realizing their goals.
- They hate people who cover up their bad intentions with an innocent look on the surface.
- They prefer exploration and experimenting with new ideas and experiences. They dislike being boxed in one place.
- ESTPs do not like people who engage in emotional drama to earn acceptance from others.
- They feel irritated with people who complain a lot.
- ESTPs also hate people who do not find practical solutions to their problems.
- People with ESTP personality type feel restless if someone tells them to take a pause and leave aside their spontaneous nature.
- ESTPs never like discussing their personal problems with others.
- ESTPs hate emotional glitches that are meant to manipulate them. They avoid mingling with such people in their everyday life.
ESTP learning style
ESTPs learn best through practical and realistic learning. They are sensing personalities, well-tuned with their surroundings. Thus, anything abstract and ambiguous is not their preference.
They learn best when things are logical and concrete, where they will be able to use their kinesthetic sensations to understand and analyze the surroundings.
Their learning style looks like this:
- ESTPs like open-ended work settings where they can learn and experiment independently.
- They prefer learning by doing. ESTPs find it hard to understand lectures and verbal instructions unless it relates with their real world.
- They enjoy group activities and share their ideas with others.
- ESTPs may get distracted if asked to do routine tasks. They lose focus and develop a short attention span if required to work on monotonous activities.
- They need to take regular short breaks to stay tuned to their learning environment.
- ESTPs prefer direct and clear instructions without which they cannot work.
- They are never interested in learning theories, rather prefer to focus on practical applications of things.
- They prefer to know the cause-effect relationships and may feel frustrated if put in too structured and organized setups. Regular classroom setups are not interesting for them.
- They love to take part in competitions and challenges that test their worth and knowledge.
- ESTPs also like honest feedback and always learn from past mistakes.
- They earn respect in schools and colleges for their dedication and hard work.
- ESTPs are quick learners. They cannot grasp theoretical ideas but excel in practical application of their learning.
To Sum Up
ESTPs are relaxed, easy-going personality types who are exceptional thinkers. They enjoy living in the present and humbly accept life as it comes.
They never complain about what is missing in their life, rather they try hard to achieve things that are not there or can be achieved with effort and perseverance.
Being a rational thinker, they may not always understand the deepest emotions of others but remain open to adapt as per other’s needs and wishes.
ESTPs are a perfect blend of excitement and realism.
Chandrani is a former school psychologist and teacher by profession. She is a post graduate in Applied psychology with focus in clinical and health domains. Her passion for writing, kindled during school days have now become a full time freelancing endeavor. For her, writing is cathartic and keeps her mentally agile. Her lovable niches includes psychology, parenting, spirituality, lifestyle, and love and relationships. Her work depicts her perspectives about various experiences that she came across; unleashed a richer and deeper meaning of life. "Let me leave an aftertaste in the minds of few, if not many who need to find a path of absolute bliss, happiness, and inner peace."