Are you an extrovert who tries to make the most of your life’s moments? Do you think you are always physically active and mentally agile and just keep on doing something or the other?
Is it that life is an enthusiastic journey buzzing with positivity? Think of it, and if you feel it is matching with your nature, you could be an ESTP.
You are warm and friendly, lively, humorous, and bustle with offbeat ideas to work upon. Your dynamic nature makes you a doer who never sits back but takes action to make things happen.
For you, light is always on and action has to go on. Your life’s philosophy is to remain active and agile and go on doing things, as and when a new opportunity comes.
Maybe you are the most power-packed and enthusiastic Myers Briggs type ever known. In this article, we will learn more about this larger than life personality type who loves to move faster and races against time.
Summary in Infographics
ESTP – Meaning and personality type (Entrepreneur personality type)
ESTP stands for Extraverted, Sensing, Thinking, Perceiving personality type. People with this personality type are always excited and enthusiastic. They are sociable, friendly, and enjoy spending time in large groups. They are grounded in reality and enjoy life as it happens. Spontaneity and liveliness make them dynamic and impulsive beings.
For an ESTP, life is always on the go. They believe in exploring ideas and options before making decisions. From socialization to personal pursuits, these people uncover every single opportunity that comes up and makes the most of it.
ESTPs are outgoing and high-energy types. They never sit idle or procrastinate. Sometimes you may try to do so many varied things in a short time.
This makes you socially present. At a party, people can spot you quickly, because you may be seen laughing and interacting with almost everyone in the room.
Your charismatic and energetic nature looks appealing and you always remain in the spotlight wherever you go. You never like to discuss abstract concepts and theories, rather prefer real-life-like discussions that focus on the present moment.
Entrepreneur personalities do not like long drawn serious discussions alone. Sometimes they love to crack jokes and bring humor to the scene.
Moreover, they prefer to take action and not talk only about ideas and concepts. Being an action-oriented personality, you believe in doing things just at the right time.
ESTPs are sensing personalities. Thus they can quickly understand changes in their immediate environment and adjust to it.
The perceiving function makes them spontaneous and relaxed. These individuals are open-minded and remain open to good or bad changes in life. They embrace living ‘here’ and ‘now’ and never complain about trivial things in life.
ESTPs are keen observers. They are active problem solvers who use logical thinking to resolve issues in the best possible way. Most of the time, they remain fast-paced and high on energy.
Last but not the least, your constant adrenaline rush makes you do things that are challenging, innovative, and always out of the way. Others may not even dare to think of doing it.
At times, you may seem to keep everyone on their toes and enjoy the journey of life in its best form.
ESTP typology description
The acronym ESTP stands for the following four functions that make up this particular personality type.
1. Extroverted – ESTPs are extroverts because they are sociable, friendly, cheerful, and enthusiastic. Extroverts never ponder over life’s problems, rather they believe in solving them as much as possible. ESTPs have large social connections and thus can be considered active socialites.
2. Sensing – People with sensing personalities prefer detail and concrete things. They are the ones who deal with facts and not with abstract ideas. Moreover, these individuals use their senses to receive information from the external environment. ESTPs also pay attention to their physical reality and remain closely aware of what’s happening around them.
3. Thinking – ESTPs are analytical thinkers. Being keen observers, they use their senses to perceive, understand, and make decisions accordingly. Thinking people depend on objective information and facts. They are logical and rational thinkers.
These deep thinkers make decisions based on truth. Most of the time, they’re thick-skinned, headstrong, and remain firm with people.
Thinking types are those who decide with the head and not with the heart, but it doesn’t mean that they are cold and affectless. It only means they use critical thinking skills in analyzing various situations and decide accordingly.
4. Perceiving – ESTPs are relaxed and easy-going people. Their spontaneous and flexible mindset allows them to work at their own pace while remaining open to the probable changes that may happen at the workplace, home, or elsewhere.
People with perceiving personalities are adaptable, open-minded, and non-judgmental. Their ability to perceive may help them to understand everything in detail.
ESTP personality traits
Being an extrovert, you will prefer to meet new people, know them deeply. You are the one who can start chatting, mingling, and flirting equally well with both known and unknown people.
Maybe your social sophistication helps you become who you are. Your charming and polished nature makes you elegant and dignified.
Your playful and amusing nature makes you good at people’s skills. You are also a good leader who can motivate others to bring their best to the table.
Some of the personality traits that best describe you are:
- Has strong memory for details
- Good social influencers
- Creative problem-solver
- Remains poised under pressure
- Driven by logic
What if you are an ESTP?
If you can relate yourself to many of the personality traits mentioned above, you could be an ESTP. You are probably like this –
Being an ESTP, you will typically display a fun-loving, outgoing, and active lifestyle. You will become the center of attention wherever you go. Probably others love your sense of style and charisma with which you carry yourself in social spheres.
You prefer to remain in the spotlight because you know how to entertain others, motivate them to follow your lead. Your spontaneous and free mixing nature enables you to know others at a deeper level.
Being a daring and adventure-loving person, you will always walk upon new paths. Traditional and theoretical concepts are not for you. You will comfortably break the rules that seem pointless and formulate new ones that can bring a greater good to the community.
Your flexible nature makes you listen to what others have to say on a topic. You prefer deeper impersonal discussions that can improve people and systems together.
You are not self-critical at all and comfortable in making mistakes. Probably, you will bounce back with new perspectives sooner than expected.
ESTPs are brave hearts who can take risks if the situation calls for it. You’re logical and rational as well. In stressful and difficult times, you are not the one who prefers to fail, rather you will go on trying till things are done.
You can jump into a situation quickly and chalk out a rational exit plan to defy the odds. Your creative problem-solving ability makes you a likable person.
However, sometimes you may appear insensitive to others, probably impulsive, impatient, and insensitive. This is because the feeling functions are not well developed in your personality profile.
ESTPs have an extraverted feeling (Fe) as a tertiary function that makes them aware of the feelings of others only to a certain extent.
Thus, you may fail to understand the subtle feelings of others, making you appear inconsiderate and hard-heated.
More so, you’ll always feel bored if asked to do a routine desk job. Maybe, you prefer action more than anything else. It suits your highly active lifestyle.
22 telltale signs of ESTP personality type
ESTPs are proud go-getters who are known for their energetic and dynamic presence in society. They are best known for their flexible and spontaneous nature.
Armed with creativity and innovation, they just believe in making things happen, no matter what price they may need to pay to sail through adversities.
Neither regrets nor repentance can bow down their confidence. They will strive to accomplish their goals until done.
The most probable signs that you are an ESTP or someone you know might be the one are as follows:
1. You live in reality
ESTPs are realistic and practical. They prefer to live life the way it is. Neither an optimist nor a pessimist, they are just pragmatic and clear-headed about their goals in life.
They are objective and rely on what is in front of them. You are the one who believes in facts and not on abstract hypothetical concepts and situations.
2. You may suffer a serious FOMO
Being an extrovert, ESTPs prefer to socialize a lot and stay updated about what is going on around them. They feel anxious if they miss out on something interesting or exciting in life.
You may fear missing out on some interesting event going on in the town. Wasting time with small talks or grinding your head through unnecessary desk jobs, paperwork is not your cup of tea.
You may feel bored if you are asked to do the same monotonous tasks every day.
3. ESTPs can understand the hidden motives of others
ESTPs have strong senses. Thus, they are quick to see even the minor changes in their immediate environment. These people have sharp minds and keen observation skills.
They can easily understand the hidden motives of others. They are good mind readers and quickly see through someone’s intentions.
They can sense non-verbal cues and body language much better than other personality types.
4. You live in your moments
You are not the one to overthink past events or plan much about future prospects. Being an ESTP, you would prefer to live in the present moments.
Rather than waiting for better opportunities that may or not may not come in the future, you will always work on present projects. This makes you present and grounded in reality.
5. Gifting ideas comes to you naturally
ESTPs can surprise their loved ones by giving gifts as a token of love and praise. They really care for people who matter the most in their lives.
You will love to allure them with precious gifts such as a much-awaited vacation, a cruise ride, adventure games, etc.
6. You believe only what you see
You will never trust others at face value. For you, verifiable facts are needed as proof of something. Emotional manipulation and false cries cannot melt you down, so anyone trying to act in such a way will be utterly disappointed.
7. You’re an action-oriented person
ESTPs are action-oriented people. They just do not believe in creating ideas and talking about those ideas, rather they prefer to take action and do the needful as and when needed.
8. Your visual memory is strong
ESTPs have strong visual memories. They can recall the exact scene of events that may have happened long back.
This is possible only because you are a very detail-oriented person. At the same time, you are a good observer who can scan through the nitty-gritty of events very early and can remember scenes accurately.
9. You are fair in your dealings with others
ESTPs are honest and fair people. For them, the world is judged as either right or wrong. You hate unfair practices such as showing preferences to someone even if they do not deserve it.
You believe in giving a fair chance to everyone and dislike those who may use their social position to earn preferences without any effort and hard work from their end.
10. You prefer independence
ESTP are independent and love to fly like a free birds. They would not prefer to be boxed in and confined in one place.
These extroverts are high on energy and prefer to explore the world around them. They are always ready to face new challenges and sail through them courageously. At last, they do come out victoriously
11. You’re a controlled person from within
ESTPs may appear easy-going and outgoing from outside, yet they are controlled and restricted from within. It means they will scrutinize every minor detail before making a decision in their life.
Their logical mind scans through the events thoroughly, refines the information, till things become crystal clear. ESTPs never decide on haste. They are thoughtful and guided by a very strong set of values.
12. Tenacity and perseverance makes you strong from within
You are a hardworking and tenacious person. If you set your mind to anything, you will put your head and heart into it until it’s done. ESTPs never do things in a half-hearted way, they just prefer to complete their task and accomplish goals in a systematic way.
13. You’re a risk taker
ESTPs are risk-takers because they know that in order to achieve big things in life, you need to play little risks, otherwise things won’t happen.
Probably it’s your way of conquering your innate fears and taking up new challenges and walking upon unknown paths more confidently. For you, no risk means no gain.
14. Stress can make you feel restless
During times of stress, you may become anxious and irritable. You may start to misinterpret the situation or infer certain meanings out of an event that doesn’t really exist.
Sometimes, your practical and realistic mindset may prompt you to act too rationally, giving you pain and emotional suffering.
When this happens, you are in a grip of stress with inadequate coping skills in place. Stress overload can overwhelm you emotionally. You may not take it any further.
15. You want variety in life
As you are good at multitasking, you can juggle many things at a time. You can easily switch over from one task to another quite flawlessly.
You prefer innovation and novelty. Doing the same tasks for days and weeks can feel like you are wasting your energy.
16. You have a humorous side as well
You’re a cool dude in your daily life. Nothing can overwhelm you until and unless it’s too much. Thus, if you find someone suffering around you and in a bad mood, you may crack a few jokes to lighten up the mood of the room. You may help the person to feel better.
17. You are tactful
ESTPs are tactful and know how to deal with people around them. Being an extrovert, you get many chances to sit up and down with a wide variety of people.
Since you are tactful and intelligent, you can mold their behavior in desirable ways. It means you will make them do things your way in a friendly manner.
Others will readily get onboard seeing your firm and commanding approach towards them. Sometimes this may make you appear a haughty leader, though it doesn’t make much difference in the way you think, feel, and do things in your daily life.
18. You always remain confident
ESTPs are always confident and never appear meek and timid. These individuals know that whatever the circumstance may be, they will always hit the right button at the right time and manage things well.
People with ESTP personality types are fearless, bold, and competent. They trust themselves to the fullest. Nothing in this world can doom down to hopelessness and despair because they know they will get themselves out of the toughest of situations gracefully.
19. ESTPs are judgemental and narrow-minded
ESTPs are narrow-minded and often scan through events too closely. This makes them look at only one side of the story. They see life either as of right or wrong and never take the middle path.
Being a perceiving personality, they ought to remain flexible towards their outlook, but it has been seen that during times of stress, they become narrow and try to analyze things only from one point of view without seeing the whole picture. This makes them judge others quickly without knowing the other side of the story.
20. You will never lead a dull life
ESTPs prefer to live a very energetic and active life. Since they may get bored easily, they want new and exciting moments in life every now and then.
Even in relationships, if dull moments strike in, they may get mentally restless and think it a mere waste of time. They may not live a committed relationship until it is exciting and exhilarating as always.
21. You nail it what you say
ESTPs are the people who know how to keep their promises. They are versatile, fluent, confident, and socially communicative.
Being an extrovert, they are usually confident that people will follow them blindly. Their charisma and boldness make them say and do things that they just believe in.
22. ESTPs may get hard with people who fish for complements
ESTPs are fiercely honest. They do not like people who seek social recognition just on the basis of social status, power, and money.
People with ESTP personalities cannot like people who fish for compliments or do some kind of social drama or emotional manipulation to grab people’s attention towards them.
Cognitive dynamics of ESTP personality type (The Functional stacking)
ESTPs have exceptional people skills. They are good at persuading and influencing others, and that makes them natural and talented leaders. In this section, we will see the functional stack of ESTP personalities.
Functional stack refers to the hierarchical organization of cognitive functions that makes up the individual’s personality dynamics and overall behavior patterns.
They are commonly divided into dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, and inferior functions.
The dominant functions are those that are quite influential and can impose the maximum effect on the person’s nature.
Then comes the auxiliary function that supports the dominant function to carry on with the task well. Thirdly, we see the tertiary functions that are less influential but still show some effects.
The last one is the inferior functions that need to be developed more in order to have an overall balanced personality structure.
1. Dominant function – Extraverted Sensing (Se)
- ESTPs derive their energy and enthusiasm from social interactions. They are outgoing and have good communication skills.
- Extraverted sensing helps them to get hooked towards various sensory stimulations from the outside environment. They love to touch, feel, and experience things around them. ESTPs learn things by hands-on experiences, they never prefer rote learning and factual data alone.
- ESTPS are practical and realistic. They remain present in their moments and remain aware of what’s going around.
- Since these people are highly energetic, they get bored with theories and ideas rather get interested in acting out things that they have learned. ESTPs believe in acquiring practical knowledge.
2. Auxiliary function – Introverted thinking (Ti)
- ESTPs are rational and logical thinkers when ESTPs make their decisions. Their decisions are not based on emotions.
- Introverted thinking makes them highly disciplined people. They are the no-nonsense types when it comes to work. These people prefer to work in relaxed setups that are systematic and objective in nature.
- Introverted thinkers are good observers. They are quick to notice very minor things around them that others might ignore.
- They use practicality and logic in solving their day to day problems.
3. Tertiary function – Extraverted Feeling (Fe)
- This function makes ESTPs focus on establishing healthy relationships with others.
- ESTPs are people pleasers. Sometimes they wish to maintain peace and avoid being in conflict with others.
- Extraverted feelings allow them to do different things for social work. They strive to make a society where everyone can live in peace and harmony.
4. Inferior function – introverted intuition (Ni)
- As ESTPs live in their moments, they are not at all concerned about the future. Their instincts and gut feeling cannot foresee future happenings.
- This aspect of their personality is weak and as such they are poor in establishing patterns and connections between events.
ESTP VS ENTP
Have you ever been caught up in an ESTP and ENTP debate? Are you stuck somewhere borderline in your Myers Briggs results between these two closely-knit personality types?
ESTPs and ENTPs have thought and perceiving cognitive functions as common, though in different levels of functional stacking.
If you’re interested to know to which specific type you belong, you will have to first know the major similarities and differences associated with these two similar-looking personality profiles.
- Both these types are extroverts and are outgoing and energetic people.
- ENTPs and ESTPs are spontaneous, flexible, and charismatic.
- Both are socially engaging and can light up the mood of the place they are in.
- These types have the ability to persuade and convince others because they possess excellent communication skills.
- Both these types thrive in large groups quite comfortably making their presence felt in the scenario.
- They pursue new experiences and are open-minded in nature.
- Both are non-judgmental and can understand the hidden motives of others very well.
|ESTPs prefer the excitement, enthusiasm, adventure in their daily life.||ENTPs love debates, discussions, and can think about an issue from various perspectives.|
|ESTPs are sensing personalities. They use their senses to understand the world around them.||ENTPs are intuitive personalities. They use their instincts, analyze the past and present of every small experience before taking the final decision.|
|ESTPs do not like routine and mundane tasks that are less enthusiastic.||ENTPs cannot handle emotional situations. They are not good at understanding the subtle feelings of others.|
|They do not prefer to be controlled or get boxed in rules and regulations. They prefer flexibility in whatever they may be doing.||ENTPs do not like jobs and careers that lack novelty and innovation. If the work seems interesting, they may even adapt themselves well and can allow others to control their behavior.|
|ESTPs are detail-oriented. Being a sensor personality, they scan through the events as minutely as possible before taking a further decision.||ENTPs generally do not prefer details. Being an intuitive type, they prefer to look at the big picture only.|
|ESTPs want others to give them attention wherever they go.||ENTPs enjoy large public gatherings but may not be interested to seek public attention always.|
|They have a strong desire to explore the world around them. They do not prefer long-drawn conversations, rather like to have hands-on learning.||As they love to discuss issues with others, they prefer to engage with quick-witted and like-minded people.|
People with these personality types are easy-going, flexible, and adjustable. Thus, they usually relate well with most other personality types.
Since they are adventurous and highly energetic, they usually seek partners with whom they can enjoy each and every moment of their lives.
The best compatible partners for ESTPs are the ISFJ and ISTJ. These personality types are introverts and can complement well with the lively nature of ESTPs. ESTPs can bring spontaneity and flexibility to the relationship.
Moreover, all these personality types are sensors with perceiving skills. It means they live in their moments and prefer to accept life as it happens.
The worst compatible partners for an ESTP are INTJ and INFP. The introverted nature of INTJs cannot manage the enthusiastic and energetic ESTP.
ESTPs partners are doers. They want active partners who can bring new experiences and surprises into the relationship.
They want a few essential elements to be present in the relationship to keep things moving smoothly for a long time, such as:
- Activity and adventure
- Love, care, and attention from partners
- Easy-going attitude and enjoying life as much as possible
- Creative partners who are adaptable and can embrace change, both good and bad.
- Partners who can share learning experiences with them.
- Honesty and integrity
- Partners who can socialize well
- ESTPs want partners who are emotionally mature and do not demand too much emotional intimacy.
- Boring partners are not for ESTPs
- ESTPs cannot get along well Controlling partners
The chart given below shows the ESTP compatibility with other personality types.
ESTPs always remain excited and energetic as far as their relationships are concerned. They are the most flexible and happy-go-lucky partners that one can have.
Their love life is full of surprises. In the workplace, they delegate their duties with commitment and become everyone’s favorite because of their flexible, humble, and easy-going nature.
Even, as parents, they are playful, understanding, and open-minded towards the needs of their children. Here, we will speak at length on how they perform in relationships in various roles of being a romantic partner, friend, and as parents.
ESTPs are kind-hearted, loving, and enthusiastic partners. They never allow boredom to set into the relationship. They like thrill, excitement, enjoyment, in their love life.
As romantic partners, you will always keep your partner as the apple of your eye. You will bring a lot of surprise and innovation into the relationship.
Your relationship rule is to keep your partner happy at all costs, to be with the thick and thin.
You may love discussing serious topics with your partner occasionally but most of the time you would prefer to plan your day out with your partner in a proper way.
Being an action-oriented person, your perfect date would be to go for a long drive with your partner or spouse, a typical romantic getaway with good food, old wine, and loads of intimacy, both physical and emotional.
The Entrepreneur partners remain aware of their partner’s needs. They give a lot of respect and spend time very deeply with their partners to build up a trusting bond.
However, one thing that may frequently get into the bonding is boredom. You may easily get bored in a relationship and expect your partner to surprise you with new things every now and then.
In reality, as these things are not always possible, your emotional connections may dwindle too soon than expected.
If entrepreneurs feel stuck in the relationship, they may just end the relationship and start looking out for a new partner.
To some extent, ESTPs are unreliable partners, though not always. This aspect of their behavior also depends upon their upbringing and value systems.
ESTPs prefer not to spend time with anyone who does not match their mental wavelength. For them, pretensions are a big no and they are really bad at it.
You feel thrilled is needed to keep the flame of love and intimacy going on for years. Sometimes you may struggle to maintain long-term relationships because of your erratic mentality.
ESTP as parents
As a parent, you are loving, playful, fun-loving, and lively. Your child will consider you as the best parent one can ever have. You will always prefer spending time with your children.
ESTPs are naturally curious, so they can easily blend with the inquisitive nature of their children. Being an entrepreneur parent, you will love to explore new things and create innovative ideas together with your child.
Your playful and child-like nature makes you your child’s best playmate. Sometimes, your child longs to have some quality moments of pure fun and togetherness with you.
ESTPs are helpful parents, so you will always help your children complete their school assignments and projects. You will teach them the art of learning by doing.
Your little ones love to spend time with you. Your spontaneity and lively nature make you a perfect role model for your child.
ESTP parents are easygoing, yet remain firm when it comes to discipline and teaching values to their children. These parents do not believe in making pointless rules at home but they believe in nurturing values and morality in the family.
ESTP parents follow a democratic disciplinary style where children are given the freedom to choose their careers and live a valued life.
They are taught honesty and integrity in hard ways. Children know the expected behavior patterns at home and know the consequences if they deviate from their desired paths.
Moreover, children are encouraged to judge between right and wrong. ESTP parents keep a close look at their child’s whereabouts.
Thus, they can quickly notice even the slightest change in their child’s behavior and actions. In moments of crisis, ESTP parents help and support their children fully if things go wrong for them.
Lastly, these parents develop deeper bonding with their children through shared experiences, love, and humility.
Children reared up by an ESTP parent feel safe and secure in their arms because they know they have enough freedom to express their emotions, think creatively, and make mistakes.
The parent-child relationship is full of love, faith, trust, and deep understanding.
ESTP as friends
As friends, you are full of life, always active and agile. Your charming, tolerant, and relaxed attitude makes you a popular person in social circles.
ESTP friends can surprise their friends with new ideas to explore the world. They have a zest for life that is energetic. They are always on their toes and take their friends along with them on this journey of life.
Whether it’s a weekend getaway or a late-night movie, they plan their outing with their friends perfectly. ESTPs are outgoing and enjoy life to the fullest.
They are full of hope and happiness and thus they can spread optimism and joy all around them.
ESTPs prefer to make friends with just anyone. They are talkative and love to share their life story, hobbies, with a large group of people.
People with ESTP personalities live in their moments. They are not bothered about what others think of them.
ESTPs love to play mind games with their friends. It is a form of mental exercise that helps them to combat boring moments when they are with their friends.
People with ESTP personalities can have a sudden adrenaline rush and it makes them hyperactive and talkative at the same time. They may get over-excited and love to play challenging games with their friends.
ESTP in workplace
In a workplace setup, ESTPs can be identified easily because of their abundant energy, lively spirit, and vibrant nature. They are always in the spotlight in the workplace. People with ESTP personality style are good at solving workplace issues whenever it arises.
Since they seek attention from others, they will always blow their trumpet in front of their colleagues and teammates. However, they are adaptable in any situation and can easily make it more interesting for themselves and their teammates.
ESTPs are popular colleagues. They have a charismatic and attractive demeanor that attracts others towards them. They can relate well with just anyone in the workplace.
As colleagues, ESTPs always have strong networking skills. They are helpful and supportive towards the people they work with. Being a good observers, they would easily notice changes in their colleagues’ behavior and actions.
Entrepreneur colleagues’ do not like lazy and pessimistic teammates. For them, competence at work and a desire to accomplish tough goals should be a part of every workplace culture.
ESTPs will always move out of their comfort zones to help others. Due to their quick decision-making ability and excellent problem-solving skills, they readily scan through the details of the situation and support their colleagues or teammates in need.
People with this personality type are adaptable and flexible. They can accept changes in work rules and follow them diligently.
Entrepreneur colleagues can also support their coworkers to take challenges at work and fulfill their duties efficiently.
These individuals can light up the mood of the room and can nullify a tense workplace situation with their positive vibes and relaxed attitude.
A subordinate role in a workplace is not a comfortable one for an ESTP because they are not good at taking orders from others.
People with these personalities are never comfortable with others telling them what needs to be done. ESTPs are their own boss and live a life of dignity and integrity.
ESTPs are known for their quick wit, creativity, and innovative mindset. If they are not allowed to explore new ideas and experiment with them in a workplace, instead they are forced to listen to their superiors, then they would get frustrated in no time.
People with this personality type are fiercely independent. They make their own rules and strategies to get things done. Thus, they do not like others’ rules and habits to be forcibly put to them.
ESTPs do not perform well in a subordinate role and may feel stuck in this role. This can affect their work performance and productivity in the long run.
ESTP are inspiring leaders. They are naturally tuned towards guiding others to become their best selves. Moreover, they love to experiment and take risks to get things done. All these become easy in a manager role.
ESTPs always shine in this role because this position allows them to express their innate talents. Here they can work on their own terms and conditions. They will get the chance to work with flexibility and space. There will be no one to interfere as well.
ESTP personality types would love to work with many ideas and put all of them in place at the right time and in the best possible way.
For this, they take the help of their team. These people can inspire others to do their best. Thus by working cohesively, they can write great success stories beyond imagination.
In a managerial position, ESTPs can deal with day-to-day problems efficiently. They may quickly notice discrepancies in the work setup that others may not notice easily.
This helps an ESTP manager to nip the problem in the bud pretty soon.
Since these individuals are detail-oriented, they will always break the complex and lengthy tasks into small units. The team members will be assigned small responsibilities that they are supposed to accomplish with utmost commitment.
For these, the ESTP managers will always help their subordinates if anything goes wrong. Being flexible and open-minded, they will not criticize their subordinates openly but will support them to bloom and flourish in the workplace in their own creative ways.
ESTP managers can think logically, plan strategically, and have the power to delegate even the toughest decisions with vision and ambition.
They always succeed in their professional endeavors because they are hardworking and remain dedicated until the job is fully done.
ESTP and career choices
ESTPs are socially present, affable, dynamic, and live life with their own set of terms and conditions. Thus, they shine in careers where they can express their innate talents in lucid ways.
They need to explore, experiment, innovate, and delegate tasks in their finest forms.
Since these people believe in taking action rather than only creating big ideas inside their heads, they will choose careers that suit their go-getter mindset. They hate monotonous tasks because it kills their creativity.
You will never take up secure and boring desk jobs. For you, stable and secure job roles are for the faint-hearted. You are keen to take up risky careers that may put you in bigger challenges every now and then, but every time, you will come out in shining colors.
Most often, ESTPs choose flexible careers where they can learn and experiment with new ideas. They do not like career and job opportunities that are highly structured and need to be done in the same way always.
Their curious mindset does not allow them to settle for less. They always strive to get better and can quickly rise up the social ladder and achieve even the impossible things in life.
ESTPs like unpredictable careers that can amaze them with unexpected results. They want a job that gives them the flexibility to solve problems creatively.
They like fun, thrill, adventure in their workday. For ESTPs, a career is not for bread and butter alone. It’s a way to find one’s authentic self and nurture the hidden talents that one possesses.
Some of the best-suited career options for ESTPs are:
- Building contractor
- Fire fighter
- Athletic trainer
- Hotel manager
- Airline pilot
- Insurance agent
- Financial planner
- Military officer
- Flight engineer
- Stock broker
- Police officer
- Private detective
ESTP – strengths
Each of the 16 personality types described in MBTI comes with a set of strengths and pitfalls. The strengths are those areas of expertise that manifest themselves in varied forms in your daily life. It helps you to grow and develop your innate skills easily.
Some of the key strengths that make you who you are:
ESTPs are bold and fearless. They can face new experiences and challenges with ease and comfort. They prefer to embrace life in its varied shades without any complaints and regrets. As they are full of life, they often push their boundaries hard to explore and know the unknown.
You are fiercely proactive and never prefer to become lazy. Thus, it’s obvious you do not like people who are lazy and laid back.
Wasting time is a sin for you and you just cannot accept others doing it too. Being an active person, you never sit back and think, rather believe in doing and accomplishing tasks in reality.
3. Perceives change easily
ESTPs can notice changes quite easily. At the same time, this skill also helps them to remain flexible and adapt to unexpected changes.
4. Good networking skills
ESTPs have good networking skills. They are highly sociable and can adjust and mingle with just anyone. You may find an ESTP interacting with an unknown person with ease and proficiency.
5. Direct and straightforward
People with ESTP personalities are direct and like to communicate clearly. They do not like twisted talks, rather love the clarity in speech and actions.
ESTPs are straightforward and see things for what they are. They never show interest in unclear situations. Their objective nature makes them good communicators.
6. Self confident
ESTPs are self-assured. They possess a can-do attitude that most of the Myers Briggs types do not have. These people are quick decision-makers.
They can quickly scan through the details of the situation and get a knack for how to tackle the situation.
Most of the time they prefer to work independently and like to improvise those systems that are not in place. This quality also makes them fearless and take up many risky acts that others may not even think of.
ESTP – shortcomings
The shortcomings are the deficit areas that need to be improved for the overall good functioning of the individual.
ESTPs are impatient and want to do everything very hurriedly. They do not like people who work slowly. This impatience makes them mentally restless and they may lose interest and focus very fast.
Sometimes, this makes them insensitive people who can openly criticize others who are not street smart or prompt in their thoughts and actions just like them.
2. ESTPs are too judgmental
Another shortcoming of ESTPs is that they are critical and judge people and situations pretty early. Sometimes the pre-judgments are totally wrong and when they realize their mistakes, it actually becomes too late.
3. Fears commitment
ESTPs always look for new experiences. They may feel bored and stuck in a relationship if there is no excitement in it. In such a situation, ESTPs may dwindle and think of coming out of the relationship.
If the relationship appears monotonous and unexciting, these people will not get into long-term commitments with their partners. ESTPs fear being stuck and thus they never promise until fully satisfied with the relationship they are in.
4. Lacks structure and order
Being a perceiving personality type, you are not good at planning and putting things in order. Rather you prefer to live life with flexibility and spontaneity.
You are not at all a good planner. As you would prefer to live in the moment, you never think about your future.
For you, it’s a waste of time to think about something that is unknown and you really do not have much control over the situation.
5. You are emotionally cold and insensitive
ESTPs are fiercely logical and believe in what they see and experience in front of them, in the real world. For them, emotional situations are quite awkward and they are not good at handling them.
As such, others may see them as unkind and cold people. Their blatant honesty may often make it difficult for them to express their emotions also. ESTPs are not affectless but they appear thick-skinned and inconsiderate externally.
ESTPs are non-compliant and defiant in nature. They defy conventional rules and pointless regulations and consider them as a mere waste of time. It’s tedious and they just want to avoid it at all costs. However, they focus on doing things that matter the most to them.
How to relate with ESTP personality
Are you dating an ESTP and really wish to know how to get along well with them? Do you think you need to learn some hacks to understand them better? If yes, read on the following points and use them on your next date night.
Dating an ESTP will not be everyone’s cup of tea because you will have to keep pace with their energetic body and agile mind.
As these people prefer fun-loving and active partners, you will have to develop yourself to remain in the relationship for a long time.
Remember, ESTPs may easily feel bored with a monotonous lifestyle. For them, excitement is the food of the soul. They like people who can make them experience new things. ESTPs like to have pure joy and enjoyment in whatever they may be doing.
The following tips can help you in rapport building and further your intimate connections with ESTPs.
- Be honest and faithful towards them. Since they have an eye for detail, they will quickly get to know your phony and showy behavior, if any.
- As ESTPs may get bored easily, you will have to make everyday a new and exciting one.
- Be open=minded and flexible with an ESTP. They do not prefer people who tie them in rules, and dos and don’ts
- Never pressurize them to plan for the future as they are really bad at planning. They enjoy living here and now. If you want to have an ESTP partner living with you for a long time, just make sure that you learn to enjoy the moments of life with them. Do not discuss future issues that may or may not happen.
- ESTPs love to be appreciated by their partners. Thus you can praise them about their strengths and abilities, achievements and success. They will surely like it.
- ESTPs hate to do things on time, they are relaxed and easy-going and want a partner with a similar mindset. Thus, do not schedule time limits for these adventurous people. Allow them to work with flexibility.
- Since these individuals like straight talk, be clear about your desires, feelings, and expectations from the relationship. Never use hidden meanings with the words you use, because they will not understand it.
- Do not take things seriously with them. Sometimes ESTPs may behave rudely, even if they do not want to. This happens because their feeling functions are not well developed. They may struggle to understand the finer feelings of others.
- Enjoy the ride called ‘life’ with them.
Famous ESTPs you may be knowing
If you are an ESTP personality type, you must be eager to know the names of a few celebrities who share their personality with you. These ESTPs have made their presence felt in the global arena in their respective field of expertise. Some of them are as follows:
- Helen Mirren, English actress
- John Wayne, American actor
- Madonna, Pop queen
- Bon Scott, Australian singer
- Donald Trump, American President
- Ernest Hemmingway, author
- Dale Carnegie, author and motivational speaker
- Mike Tyson, Boxer
- Steve Nash, American point guard
- Jimmy Connors. American Tennis star
- Dan Marino, American quarter back
- Epicurus, Greek philosopher
- John Grisham, American author
- Nicolas Sarkozy –President of France
- Bernard Montgomery, U.K field Marshall
- Kid Rock, American songwriter and singer
What do ESTPs hate?
As these rational-minded extroverts are fearless and bold, they may say and do things straight, even if others around them do not like it.
There are many things that these people do not like to face in their real-life scenarios. Some of them are as follows:
- ESTPs do not want others to control or micro-manage them. They always want to live like a boss.
- They may lose focus and inspiration in the middle of a project as they hate doing one single thing for a long time.
- ESTPs hate pointless rules, strict conventions of the society. They prefer things only if they are flexible.
- People with ESTP personalities are present in reality. So, they do not like to think about past happenings and future goals.
- They may feel irritated with emotional manipulation and touchy-feely nature of others.
- ESTPs only prefer straight talks. They hate people who backbite and use under cover words to describe their motives and feelings.
- They hate people who do a lot of drama to seek public attention and recognition.
- ESTPs are born explorers. They hate being confined or boxed in one place.
- Phony and unfair people are their greatest enemy. ESTPs just cannot tolerate these unscrupulous types.
- They may get agitated if they see someone complaining a lot over something without finding practical solutions.
- These types do not get along well with those people who remain busy discussing their personal problems with others.
- ESTPs may get mentally restless if asked to work with slow performers. Since they prefer to accomplish tasks very fast, ESTPs hate delays and slow work.
- They hate dishonest practices and if anyone dares to do such an act in front of them, ESTPs won’t allow them to go scot-free.
- They hate boredom. For them, if life loses its fun-loving side, living will become absolutely unworthy.
- ESTPs love logic and rationality. They hate emotional glitches because they do not believe in anything that is decided straight from the heart.
Popular hobbies of ESTP personality type
People with ESTP personalities are high on energy. Adventure and thrill make them who they are. Thus, they make every moment of their lives exciting and interesting, even the leisure hours when other personality types may take it slow and become a little lazy.
These individuals find immense joy in sports and adventure activities. They spend their free time doing certain activities where they can learn and experience new things.
These people never believe in loitering around aimlessly even in their leisure hours. They will always focus on doing something productive.
- Car racing
- Flying helicopters and jets
- Long drives in motor bikes
- Playing video games
- Dancing in the tune of a song
- Jungle safari
- Parachute jumping
ESTP and Myers Briggs personality test
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is a self-report personality test that is used to determine the 16 different personality types proposed by Katharine Briggs and Isabel Myers in the 1940s.
This personality test is used across the globe and is a popular one in the U.S. The theoretical premise on which the test was based in the cognitive theory of personality developed by C.G Jung.
Many online personality tests are available these days over the internet, but this test has never lost its popularity. The reason was obvious. It describes 16 personality types that are unique and exclusive.
The test consists of nearly 100 items that have two statements. The respondent is expected to choose any one of the statements that describe their behavior patterns and emotional states exclusively.
The theoretical construct behind the creation of MBTI is based on the four different categories that show how we all understand and perceive the world around us, process information internally, and make decisions accordingly.
These four categories were first identified and described by Carl Jung and later elaborated and lucidly presented by the mother-daughter duo after doing extensive research on the field.
The four categories are:
One letter from each category is used to give the four-letter personality type of the person; such as INTP, ISFJ, INTJ, ENTP, etc. in this way, 16 personalities have been identified and described vividly by the test.
If you want to know your personality type, you can take the original MBTI test here.
How rare is the ESTP personality type?
ESTPs are realistic and practical Myers Briggs types. They prefer a fast-paced, action-oriented lifestyle.
The first thing that makes them apart from all other extroverted MBTI types is their incredible energy and zest for life. They are the ones who are fun-loving and exuberant at every step.
ESTP personalities – Major stress triggers
Nowadays, life has become too hectic for all of us. There are stress triggers all around us that can make us irritable, moody, and restless.
When stress levels go too high, it may become difficult to function in peace. The weak areas of your personality may emerge and as such, it becomes difficult to deal with the situation.
All personality types go through phases of stress and storm. ESTPs are not an exception. For them, the major stress triggers could be:
- Fear of being judged for their relaxed attitude and easy-going lifestyle.
- ESTPs may get stressed out if they are asked to complete many tasks at a time. Their multitasking ability is poor and they may fail to accomplish such acts easily.
- Stress may come naturally to them if asked to deal with people’s emotions.
- Too many serious people around them who are trying to control their behavior and actions.
- ESTPs may feel the pressure if they are asked to follow strict rules and schedule their tasks in advance. They are not at all good at planning.
- Future demands of some people in their lives, especially family members can make their life stressful.
- ESTPs may not like others to dominate their decision making process. Being a free person, they may consider this as an encroachment to their privacy and personal space.
- They may feel anxious and restless if they do not get the due recognition from friends and family, even from colleagues at the workplace. In this way, you can say, ESTPs seek attention and want to remain in the spotlight. If it doesn’t happen, they may become restless.
- Social isolation and living alone can make them anxious. They may start to feel abandoned.
- Inefficiency at work or dishonesty anywhere can burn them out in no time.
- Arguments and squabbling with family members, friends, and colleagues can make you feel the mental pressure badly upon yourself.
How do they cope with stress?
ESTPs are usually self-disciplined people. During times of stress, they may fall into the grip of anxiety and depression but it’s not permanent. They are doers, so they will try their best to come out of the situation quite easily.
- Being a perceiving personality type, ESTPs are good at adjusting and adapting themselves to change.
- Need to develop skills to manage immediate crises by quick thinking. They can even spend some time alone to develop the ideal strategy to cope with the stressful situation.
- Under extreme pressure, ESTPs can go out and share their problems with friends and family and get some insight from them.
- Exercise and meditation practice can ease out the mental pressure to a considerable extent.
- ESTPs can socialize more and spend time outside to keep stress at bay. This can help them to release the bottled up emotions slowly and steadily.
- Seek advice from a professional psychotherapist and learn some ideal coping skills to deal with the stress triggers.
The video link given below shows the chief characteristics of the ESTP personality type. Do check out.
Key takeaway from ‘ThePleasantPersonality’
So much has already been discussed about the ESTP personality type. They are the liveliest social butterflies that you may ever come across.
They can be easily noticed as they are the life of the party. These people can actually brighten up the mood of the room they are in.
ESTPs have the power to illuminate gloomy souls and bring happiness wherever they go. Being a rational personality type, they may not always comprehend the finely drawn feelings of others but they can create an aura of positivity and optimism around them.
These outgoing yet down-to-earth personalities can take pride in their quick wit and ability to solve problems creatively. New experiences will continue to excite them.
The only thing they need to learn is structure and planning. Living in the moments of life is good but a little bit of future planning is also important to have a healthy and successful life.
Knowing what needs to be done next, you will be in a better position to use your resources wisely and succeed in your future prospects.
After all, living a balanced and successful life needs two things put in place at the right proportion– excitement well-tuned with realism and pragmatism.
“I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams.”– Madonna
Chandrani is a former school psychologist and teacher by profession. She is a post graduate in Applied psychology with focus in clinical and health domains. Her passion for writing, kindled during school days have now become a full time freelancing endeavor. For her, writing is cathartic and keeps her mentally agile. Her lovable niches includes psychology, parenting, spirituality, lifestyle, and love and relationships. Her work depicts her perspectives about various experiences that she came across; unleashed a richer and deeper meaning of life. "Let me leave an aftertaste in the minds of few, if not many who need to find a path of absolute bliss, happiness, and inner peace."