Enneagram 6 personality description states that these are loyal, trustworthy, responsible, and hard-working. These individuals happen to be psychological types who make use of their intelligence and perception to have an understanding of the world. These people love associating with social groups and making their mark. Nothing matters more to them than following their beliefs and maintaining friendships.
They are even ready to argue with those who defy their logic. Enneagram 6s do almost anything possible to hold on to their values and beliefs. Apart from this, these individuals will always defend their friends and family members more than they will do for themselves.
These people never wish to face situations when they require spending time alone. The crucial thing to note over here is that Sixes do not enjoy being with just about anyone. They love making close groups of friends with whom they can share similar tastes and preferences.
Enneagram 6 Personality Description
Enneagram Type 6 is the archetype who always looks for safety by offering protection to others or by confining themselves to the strength they possess. They do so from fear of the impending threat that things might not work out according to plan. These people always remain on the lookout for danger and use their defense to manage fear and anxiety with the help of a fight or friends.
As part of this enneagram 6 personality description, it is important to note that there are healthy and unhealthy versions of this personality type. Sixes belonging to the healthy type show their care and generosity toward others. They use logic to analyze situations and shift their loved ones toward a position of strength. These people possess several values. They work hard to upgrade their skills while carrying out various responsibilities in their professional life. When stressful times come around, healthy 6s know how to tackle them and cool down their nerves. They manage to develop secure styles of attachment and trust others with ease.
Unhealthy Sixes lead their lives in suspicion. They suspect situations and people around them. Their highly intense manner of paying attention to authentic or imaginative sources of harm that might interrupt life’s progress can make these individuals suffer from unwanted anxiety. Due to this, these people form false memories and start suspecting that people are attempting to fool them. It is when Sixes have already become masters of fooling themselves.
It is necessary that all those Sixes, who are healthy, take time out to take specific steps which can make them move ahead toward the path of growth and development in life. These individuals must take power into their hands and use it to control life the way they want. They must remain aware of how they create worst-case scenarios inside their mind and avoid them at all costs. If you wish to know about the description of your personality, first you must have clarity regarding your enneagram. Take the popular enneagram test, the Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator to know your type.
Enneagram 6 – Thinking Pattern
Enneagram 6 personality description also points toward the way these individuals always desire to solve their problems and those of their loved ones. Simultaneously, these people can foresee issues that might appear in the future and take necessary measures to prevent them from hampering their progress in life. Hence, they are genuine problem solvers. Now, in their attempt to avoid problems, Sixes can easily apply themselves to possible threats and risk elements in a highly analytical manner.
It also manages to make these people remain in tune with their environment and scan for possible problems and challenging situations. Sixes know how to solve and prevent issues. Despite being so, these people might have high skepticism of solutions that look extremely easy. This pattern, where confusion rules the roost for an Enneagram 6, can result in frequent challenges while looking forward to resolutions for carrying out the responsibilities of a managerial position.
Enneagram 6s are fully aware of overseeing their thought patterns. Even though they expect to get sufficient support and protection from individuals who are in power, they are equally cautious of being left alone, betrayed, or disappointed by the same set of people. In these situations, Sixes will question themselves or even consult those close and matter a lot in their life. They not only ask relevant questions but also about the ones that remain in hidden form.
Enneagram 6 – Feeling Pattern
When it is about the feelings and sentiments of Enneagram 6 personality type individuals, they can easily associate themselves with anxious feelings. They always make them focus on adverse circumstances of daily life. These feelings might range from concern, uneasiness, panic, terror, and dreadfulness. Sixes tend to have instant and easy access to all their feelings because of being emotionally reactive.
They will even revisit their anxieties and concerns over time. Despite expressing their pleasure when things go according to plan, unfortunately, Sixes do not ponder over positive aspects in their life for too long. Hence, they will quickly shift their focus toward the negativities surrounding their mind. These individuals will keep feeling that they might undergo tricky situations which would negatively impact their lives. Therefore, there is every chance they might not achieve their desired objectives in life.
This segment of the enneagram 6 personality description also states that Sixes have the habit of projecting their feelings toward others without carrying out intriguing tests. In their quest for managing anxiety, Enneagram 6 tends to portray their thoughts, feelings, fears, and hopes toward others. Hence, they negate their effect on themselves. These people often tend to resist and challenge others due to their own set of doubts.
Somehow, they cannot gel with people apart from the few close ones who matter in their lives. They prepare themselves to do anything for their sake and keep themselves safe from all kinds of harm.
Enneagram 6 – Action Pattern
There are a couple of ways in which the action pattern of Enneagram 6 manifests itself. They include Phobic and Counter-Phobic. If their action displays the Phobic Six, these individuals will likely be cautious and hesitant in their approach. These individuals will always try to avoid anxious scenarios and guard themselves against the risk of things going awry.
Sixes can even display the action pattern as Counter Phobic ones. In this situation, these individuals try to work through their anxiety by confronting troublesome scenarios. Most of these Enneagram 6s fall between these two extremes. They will keep moving amidst these tendencies depending on the situations and their life’s context. The majority of Sixes display some extent of risk-taking behavior. It enables them to prove to themselves and people that they do not fear anything.
The behavioral patterns might vary from various verbal actions of courage to indulging themselves in high-risk activities. Sixes having intense counter phobic patterns will possibly showcase these activities more frequently than those with the phobic type. People know Sixes for their potential to maintain consistency and complete dedication while carrying out their responsibilities. These individuals treat their work with utmost seriousness. Hence, they will fully commit themselves to the job, thus showing courage and loyalty.
How Common or Rare Are Enneagram 6s?
Enneagram 6 is the rarest among all other Enneagram personality types. They make up around 10% of the total population.
Enneagram 6 personality types belong almost equally to men and women, with women belonging slightly ahead at 10%, while men stand at 9%. There are various enneagram personality tests available online. People can take those tests and reveal further details in the future.
What Causes Delight Among Enneagram 6s?
Enneagram 6s are those individuals who love to seek security and safety in their life. They do the same for their loved ones as well. Nothing matters more to them than their beliefs and the people with whom they have forged friendships. These Sixes prepare themselves to go to any extent to prove their beliefs right and also to hold on to their friends.
The time has now come for us to discuss some of those things that bring joy in the life of an Enneagram 6 –
- Enneagram 6s love when they get opportunities to keep themselves safe and secure. They enjoy making anticipations and avoid risks from taking place.
- There is a great fascination among these individuals to connect with trusted, authority figures and organizations.
- It gives them great pleasure to think ahead in their life and prepare for plans which might not turn out as per their expectations.
- Sixes love those individuals who give them the necessary support and provide the much-needed reassurance to suggest that they are on the right path.
- They enjoy those occasions that let them focus on details and work with precision.
- These people take pride in building cohesive units with those close to them. It enables them to experience the benefits of teamwork.
- An Enneagram Six likes to use its logic and analyze various scenarios before making concrete decisions in its life.
- They love inspiring their friends and colleagues to proceed toward positivity and growth.
- People with enneagram Six personality types enjoy sharpening their skills and using them to fulfill professional responsibilities.
- These individuals use their patience and courage to enjoy independence and express themselves with complete freedom.
What Do Enneagram 6s Hate?
Enneagram 6 personality type individuals feel that the ideal way to lead their life is to have support and encouragement from loved ones. Hence, they always intend to keep them safe and secure from all kinds of harm. These people love when they get to associate themselves with like-minded individuals. Hence, their friends’ circle is small.
They have the habit of thinking a lot about the future, predicting the problems that might arise, and hence take precautionary measures to avoid them from hampering their life’s progress. While, on the one hand, it is a unique quality for an Enneagram 6 to have, on the other hand, this habit makes them lead their life in unnecessary anxiousness. They would hate not having people who can guide them on their path in life.
Let us now briefly discuss some of the things that an Enneagram 6 hates in their life –
- Enneagram 6s do not like being lazy. Hence, they hate associating with those individuals who show laziness in their lives.
- Sixes have their complete focus on fulfilling their personal and professional responsibilities. Thus, they cannot stand irresponsible behavior from others. It irritates them.
- These people hate all kinds of unfair activities. As Sixes are honest and trustworthy, they expect the same from others.
- Enneagram 6 personality type individuals hate going through negative thoughts that make them feel they will not manage to accomplish their tasks.
- Due to their punctual nature, Sixes hate being with people who have the habit of turning up late.
- They hate when they cannot get sufficient time to spend time alone and relax.
- These Sixes hate when anyone tries to show off their authoritative nature. They will make sure to stay away from them.
- As they always wish to express their thoughts and feelings with clarity, thus, people with this enneagram type would hate suppressing their anger for a long time.
- They suffer from irritation and hatred for all those who do not appreciate when Enneagram 6s offer their help.
- Sixes even hate those occasions when they feel they are not good enough.
- These individuals love carrying out one task at a time. They hate if anyone overburdens them with too many responsibilities.
The Learning Style of Enneagram 6
Enneagram 6s are those who always find ways to learn new skills, upgrade new ones and use them for undertaking their professional responsibilities with perfection. They work on learning things together with few trustworthy companions.
These individuals do not necessarily like being with too many people around them. Sixes prefer mingling with a few close friends and companions who share similar mentalities of protecting others from future problems. While going through the learning process, they will test out the material, the instructor, and their classmates and keep shooting questions to them one after another.
- Most Enneagram 6 personality type individuals love having an open environment with equal learning and development opportunities. They must welcome the give-and-take of questions and answers from both sides.
- These people love testing out theories and solutions in real life, analyzing different scenarios, and adopting a skeptical eye for scanning information coming their way.
- All those who are imparting education to Sixes must ensure their safety and security. They should respect the same by enabling them to predict and introduce gradual change methodically.
- Teachers should also provide them with proper structure, the right framework, and a list of instructions, guidelines, and routines. These details will make Sixes feel comfortable and learn with ease.
- People with this enneagram type would require constant support and reassurance for building trust and belief among themselves from their guides. They would develop the potential to learn and gain mastery over new skills.
- The sense of duty and loyalty these Sixes possess help make them team players. They often tend to enjoy learning in a team environment.
We have had a detailed discussion on various aspects of enneagram 6 personality description. We can say that Enneagram 6s are proactive individuals. They keep scanning their environment for possible problems and threats that might hamper their life progress. These people consider this world a dangerous place. Hence, enneagram six personality types take preventive measures to protect themselves from possible disasters before they create havoc.
They prioritize beliefs and friends in their lives more than anything else. These people will leave no stone unturned to defend their loved ones and even fight for their principles or beliefs to prove themselves right. Sixes love being with close-knit groups and hate when someone abandons them.